5 tips to avoid languish while learning a foreign language.

 I have tried to learn how to speak Spanish on and off for many years. Being fluent in English certainly helps a lot. Due to the obvious similarities between the two languages. The fact that work-related tasks are the only thing that I'm good at certainly helps as well. Despite both of these factors learning Spanish still hasn't always been easy. Thankfully I have begun to make practice and since I have had to figure out a lot on my own I figured that I would do a blog post featuring 5 tips that I believe you will find the most helpful. 


5. Repeat Repeat Repeat 

If you master a foreign language in a day and can retain your mastery long term you deserve a lot of credit. I say this because mastering a foreign language can be a tedious process. This is the case because it requires a significant amount of repetition. More specifically it requires daily repetition. Initially, this might feel daunting however in the long run it will pay off tremendously.      

4. Listen to native speakers as much as possible. 

Knowing a foreign language and being able to speak words with an accurate accent are very different things. It isn't completely unheard of for people to speak Spanish with an American accent. This can result in the individual sounding like they are speaking English with Spanish words. The words sound like Spanish but they don't sound authentic. I have found that watching and or listening to native speakers speaking has helped me improve my accent a lot. 

3. Focus more on your interests 

Humans have different interests and thankfully these interests don't always have language barriers. For example, if you like video games, fashion, cooking, and or even sports there is a chance that you will be able to find content on these topics in the language you are working on learning. Even if you have other interests you still might find content in your preferred language. It is amazing what is available if you are willing to look into it. If you don't focus on learning your preferred language by focusing on your interests there is a chance that you will become discouraged. 

2. Read, Write, Watch, Listen, Speak 

I personally have found that the combo of reading, writing, watching, listening, and speaking in Spanish helps a lot. However, like other humans, I have a learning style and reading has personally been the most beneficial for me. I enjoy reading content on various media websites. In terms of watching and listening, I enjoy various YouTube channels and I also have begun using MLB audio to listen to games on the radio in Spanish. I haven't practiced speaking in Spanish nearly as much as I should be. Since this blog post seems as good of a time as any to practice so here goes nothing. 





1. Have fun  

Life is so much easier when you have fun. This is especially important when you are attempting to do something super difficult. The more fun you have the easier it becomes to learn a foreign language. Or at the very least it makes the learning process more tolerable. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Duolingo isn't completely useless for more advanced Spanish students